Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Life Worth Living


“Every man dies but not every man truly lives”- Mel Gibson, Braveheart

                The seconds slowly tick by in the darkness as sleep eludes me. My thoughts race as I find myself thinking of what the dawn might bring. I glance at my phone lying on my bedside table. 12:30. Even if I fell asleep now it would still only give me 3 ½ hours of sleep…not good for the journey that lays ahead. I continue to toss back and forth like a child waiting for Christmas morning, I reach for the slightest inclination of sleep, knowing it will make the moment arrive sooner. I look out the window to check the night sky and to my dismay the stars and moon are covered by a thick haze of clouds. I lay my head back down and lift up a silent pray for the clouds to dissipate and clear skies to prevail, if only for a few hours. Around 1:30 I drift off to sleep.          
                BEEP, BEEP, BEEP… The alarm clock sounds signaling the start of my journey. Slowly and with much effort I sit up and grab the red bull sitting by my bed. I have prepared for this moment and want to be awake to enjoy the beauty that is about to unfold before my eyes. Pulling on my hoodie, cargo pants, and hiking boots I grab my bag filled with goodies and head out. 4:45 finds me walking out the front door into the crisp, cool morning air. The moon shines brightly in the western sky through a thin mist of clouds. At least they have thinned out some. I get on the main highway and head east, the darkness of countryside surrounding me on all sides. After a mile up the road I come to the dirt path leading to my destination. I stare out into the void and take in the task before me. Out of the ground it rises, like a sleeping giant it lays. I listen to the world around me as it starts to awaken. Dawn approaches. I make way down the path coming first to the bridge that lies across the flooded and raging river that separates me from my conquest. The bridge is definitely a Rwanda improve, as it consists of three trees bunched together and laid across. Slowly I step on. I cross, being careful to notice the separation between the trunks. One miss-step and its bye bye birdie. Step by inching step I creep forward until finally, to my relief, boots touch dry ground. I proceed to the edge of the mountain and with a deep breath, I proceed up. Time to climb.
                The hike starts as the crickets and frogs make their morning noises, filling the void around me. The darkness gives way to the day’s first echo of light. Time is running out. Climbing higher and higher I feel my legs burn with the effort and my lungs tighten with every breath but onward I push. Halfway up I find myself in the local’s fields. Trees are few and far between here and it is the rainy season. The fields have become mud pits. Mud sticks to my boots making every step heavier than the one before. I slip and slide as my feet carry me up. After 45 minutes and boots caked in mud I reach the top. I sit down, pull out my water bottle, and, while drinking a sip, take in the beauty of what’s around me. I look out over the town of Nyundo and the lights flickering with the uncertain electricity. I see the mountains that surround me and the hills that seem to roll like waves amongst the green, lush, landscape. The mist and fog hang suspended above the town. The sun flashes first rays over the mountain to my right, illuminating the land I have come to call home. Darkness gives way to light and to my surprise the clouds retreat. It is beautiful beyond my wildest dreams. A mountaintop sunrise. Perfect.
               A few days ago I had the bright idea to go on an early morning trek up the mountain to watch the sunrise. I knew it would require me to be up early and probably be lacking in the sleep department but I figured that the rewards far outweighed the risks. How many people can say that have seen the sunrise on a mountain in Africa (alright how many non- Africans can say that). Sleep would always be there and I could always take a nap in the afternoon so why not. I saw a chance to live my life and to break the routine that so encases us all. I took a chance and was rewarded for it. It makes me think about how many of us find ourselves caught up in the routine of life? Living day to day but never TRULY living. We are only here for a short time so why not break the mold? If I were to ask you when the last time you went out and did something fun and different what would your answer be? Yesterday? A week? A month? How often do you find yourself going farther, pushing yourself harder than before? Life is a gift and we are to make the most of it. You don’t have to travel to exotic locations to do that. Go out and meet somebody new, go learn a new hobby, go and tell that best friend how much you truly care. Go out and take the chance. Even if it blows up in your face, at least you could say you tried, you gave it your best chance. Life was not meant to be lived in the confines of comfortability and routine. It was meant to be lived. Get outside of your comfort zone and go do something crazy. Today is your day and it may be the only day you have left.  We never know when we are going to die so why play it safe? Don’t let fear get in the way. Fear is mearly the perception of what we see in front of us. Change your perception, change your fear. The time is now. Go Live and Live to the Fullest

 



 
Went back to the log Bridge later in the day

No comments:

Post a Comment